Saturday, October 27, 2012


                        The Rainy day's that lead into November



Turkey 

When sitting in the Blue Chair on a rainy afternoon in the last day's of October you get melancholy, Thinking of what if and should haves, you know the time you are spending watching the drip...drip...drip of the wayward drops of rain on the window are not going to last forever. It is just one extra pleasure you are looking for in your lifetime to make it perfect, to add to the full life you already are living.  There was a nice crisp breeze in the air as I went out to feed the turkey this afternoon. The slight drizzle on the turkey's beak as she dug into the potato peals and small gord, young Joel brought in last night for her to enjoy and add to the dwindling fat on her old bones, shaking off the water coating her feathers. She is ancient for a bird nearing the end of her years. We got her during the Easter feed store animal rush. As a potential meal for Thanksgiving and impending holliday's 3 more of her feathered kind were put in a to go box, small noisy bundles of feathery fluff and long leg's. Here we are six years later at a new location and she is the only one left standing. The others met with the normal attrition of 3 dollar yardbirds. One not making the first night in the box my daughter and I had set up with a nice lamp to keep them warm, with food and drink in an antique tin waterer and glass feeder used with mason jars my great great had used in the raising of game birds and chickens around the homestead in the late 1800's. It brings back those random though's as I look at the resilient bird, Her sister Tweety made it through a savage attack by our Miss peaches, Peaches was only doing what was natural in her instincts but Tweety didn't look at it that way she was quite offended and scared, I came out on the way to work and called the dog into the house, I had known something was amiss when the dog came up to me skulking. So I put her in the house, closed the door  and went out to the birds who were in the middle of the yard as I approached, one bird sauntered to me looking for chow the other was laying still in the yard staring outward. I looked at the bird and picked up the 10 lb. bird she was a bloody mess. Being late to work I set her in the shade and knew I would have to dispatch her, I was running late so I threw out the chow and headed to work,I had a meeting and didn't want to let her suffer long but didn't want to have her drug off and chewed up. I returned a few hours later around lunch and found her in the pen with a blanket covering her and a warm light over the top of her. I noticed a large brown sack on the step and a note " Saw your turkey hurt patched her up and sent antibiotic's good luck" the neighbor had set that bird up really well. I went out and gave her a big shot of Penicillin and a syringe of water down the ol' gullett well she made it the night and the next day changing out the wound dressing with the biggest Kotex I had ever seen. That bird made it three years after healing up, laid a few eggs and ended up with a good life. When I would leave for a few days I would ask my buddy Jimmy to watch the birds and feed them. They were so tame they would eat out of your hand if you were ready for it and not shy, Jimmy he was a bit shy the first time he came in to feed he was attacked by the South Park gang, Both turkey's all ready for chow, bum rushed him into the corner. He would joke about it later and Id the gang as the same birds as on south park and just as animated. As I hear the clucking and putting of the turkey I think of many resilient animal's and people who have come into my life and the things they have given me. Not thing's,gold or possessions that you look at but the internal gravy that makes you warm inside on a cool crisp rainy day. Have a great day, live long and sip coco :{)

No comments:

Post a Comment