Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving of 2012

How or what are you thankful for?

I look at the picture to the left and am draw'n to how those in line are dressed, Some are well dressed and some are not. But in the 20's it took many a victim with the Stock market crash and the Dust bowl. I have been watching the PBS special about the Dust bowl and what those farmers who were looking for a future for their children and generations to come. I watched their whole world be tossed back and forth by the weather, Dust would move more farms about like it was a modular home with little chance to recover. The children and elderly would suffer from Dust pneumonia and have no real hope for full recovery, Out here in eastern Washington I grew up with dust storms that would leave a good inch of dust at the bottom of the sill on the window's but nothing like what those people suffered in Oklahoma, New Mexico, Colorado and Nevada. I Learned a lot from the two part mini series and appreciated what those who stuck it out went through.I am thankful for the work many put forth to change the farming practices to help prevent such soil erosion and blowing dust. I am thankful for the perseverance of our early pioneers those who were here in the Americas living off of the land, hunting, fishing, and raising crops some of which are tasty as you can get, Sink your teeth into a nice heritage purple tomato and your lips will find the drool with the quickness when you glimpse one again. The Pilgrims who showed up and were indentured servants but stuck it out and survived with help from those native, They did impact us as a people and were afraid of Native Americans but in this day and age of 2012 we are afraid once again it has come full cycle we do very little for the Native people. I would wish that the first american's would join together to help one another but they will not like many humans the tribes are out for what they can get, I am not begrudging them but would like to see more unity. I am thankful that there will be turkey on the table and cranberry's to eat. I will call the ex and wish her well, Hope that my daughter is well and will have a good Thanksgiving. And I will cringe and posture because I am not cooking or preparing. I will look at a generic meal with sudo plates and dishes. But that is tomorrow not today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment